HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Wolf this year or wait...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
vERN
Spike

Default RE: CVA Wolf this year or wait...

My oldest son and I shoot CVA Hunterbolts. I don't like the plastic sights and ramrodholders(Have broken 3 front sights on our 3 CVA's) and am looking into metal replacements. I have been using 295 lead powerbelts and he has been using 320 Maxi's (after losing a deer account no bloodtrail from the 245 PB's). The 245's shot very good, but punching holes in paper and killing deer are two different things we found out. I may try the 295 PB plastic tipped bullets this year. Was shooting the other day and found that 95 gr. loose PR Select with the copper bullets and 85 gr. PD Select with the lead 295 PB bullets hit the same point of impact at 50 yds! I am a little concerned about the performance of the plastic tipped bullets expanding as much as the plain lead hollow points. I do have to do some more shooting.
I used the 370 maxi's in my TC Renegade with about 75 gr. PR select and had good luck with it. They are less costly to shoot than some of the others. The last bullets I used in the Renegade were the Hornady 385 Great Plains HP-HB bullets. Good performance but quite hard to load in my rifle - almost like a saboted bullet. Tried them in the Hunterbolt and they shot, but hard to get started.
If you read the posts you'll find that people are having troubles with the TC's, Knights, etc. too. My youngest son just got started with a Traditions, and it shoots fine.