HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Crimson Trail (18) Thread!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 AM
fshafly2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 18 Thread!

Hi guys
Updating: I've missed only one day getting out in the woods so far this Nov, but someof it has been for only2 hrs in the stand. Yesterday was the first time I had not seen any deer while on the stand this month.It's been a good rut here in MD for seeing chasing, tending, and trolling.The weather has been warm, and some of the best activity has been around 9am. The wife and I walked back to our gardenlast Sunday evening, and she heard (her first) buck grunts back in the woods.
I've hadopportunities to shoot 8 ptrs,a few of them respectable 3 1/2 yr olds, but I've beenholding out for a herd bull, thinking he's going to come and take this doe away from junior, lol - not! One golden opportunity was lost when a basket 8ptr with a shooter buck following him, stoppedin the woods short of my doe decoy that I had placed in a remote clover field (re 11/3 post). The8'er reversed course and the big boy followed him.While I could not count the rack, he was a horse and made the 8 ptr look like a fawn... they otherwise would (?) have crossed the small field right in front of my tree stand- (hey, it's called "hunting" - not "supermarket", lol).
A neighbor took one of the nice bucks (from the motion camera pics) during the early muzzleloader season, but such is life. Theother big ones are still around, but they didn't get that way by being dumb...
-fsh