HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A view from my treestand...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A view from my treestand...

hardyz13,

Nope, not a stupid question at all... That's what this forum exists for: for us to share, laugh together, and -- above all -- learn together. That was actually one of my intentions by posting this thread: to give some "rookies" some ideas for stand placement.

My stand height is dependent upon prevailing situations, like cover, surrounding land slope(s), and other factors. I typically like to be about 22-25 feet up, although my biggest buck (the one in my signature pic, which scored 162 and 1/8) came from a stand that was only about 15 feet up. But that tree was a gnarly little twisted thing with vines covering it, and I was nearly invisible in that thing. I do feel I get away with a bit more movement (both in drawing a bow and jerking my head around to look at every noise around me ) when I'm a bit higher. I also think my scent tends to drift away out of the area better at that height...

The stand you're "looking" out of in this pic with me is about 23 feet up. It may look higher than that due to the optics on the camera; I know the decoy sure looks a lot farther away than the 22 yards it actually is.