HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A view from my treestand...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default A view from my treestand...

I've seen other pics from members' treestands, and always loved seeing the terrain which they hunt and their setup. Since I've put my tag on a couple does and one buck so far already, I decided to take the camera to my stand yesterday; since it's gonna take a really big, mature doe or a buck that goes into the 140s before I even remove my bow from its holder, I figure Imight get some decentpictures of a few deer from my stand in the meantime.

This first pic is of one of my stands which I've hoped to catch a nice buck cruising around the end of the field in... This is actually a nice little point that juts out into the corn field, creating a nice little "pocket" to the right of the pic. I took a little doe last week that came from there and was sniffing the nose of my decoy you see down below.

Here's a closeup view of the same point. My stand is actually in the tallest birch on the right side of the pic. There's a mass of green leaves going across, and my stand is right above those.

Here's the view looking out from my stand. The decoy is at 22 yards, and quartering to my left -- into the wind, and positioned so that any approaching buck would circle around to come into the front of the deke, thus offering me a broadside or quartering-away shot. The doe I shot was slightly quartering away.

This is the view to my left, and back into the "pocket" I alluded to. This leads back into some thick scrub brush, and about 100 yards past that is a little river, which is about knee deep and 20 yards across. On the other side of that is a Wildlife Refuge which is being managed for waterfowl and is off-limits to any hunting. Any guesses where the deer are coming from?