HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mauser question
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 09:07 AM
48thguns

Default RE: mauser question

I have built 3 of them now. Here is a pic of dad's old 98. I refinished it and added the scope some years ago. It is based an original K98 made in the Weiden factory in 1944. I have just finished another one of the same vintage that is a sub MOA with 175gr Sierra Pro Hunter at 2680'/sec. The third one is a FN that I had rechambered and rebarreled to a 6.5X'06 Ackley. I'm working on the stock now. I fully expect this rifle to fire a 140 gr bullet in the 31-3200'/sec range.

Cost. A nice action around 150. Barrel, fitting finish and re-blue including drill and tap for scope say $400. Stock $150-200 depends how fancy you want it. Timney trigger with safety, 70 bucks. Pachmeyer Pad, bolt jeweling, bolt bending, specialized dies, say 150. Now you have a custom rifle that was fun to make and will be fun to shoot. Is $900 too much for a custom rifle?.....for me it's not an issue cause I do a little at a time an 200 bucks every 2 months is not too much for me to bear. In the end, I have a rifle unmatched by anything a factory can do including, Kimber, Browing, Sako and Weatherby.

Sidebar. You also have the most rugged action ever built, a piece of history and your own creation that will be cherished for a lifetime. Good luck and regards, Rick.