HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fletching help?????
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Fletching help?????

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Quit sanding the shafts. By sanding the shaft you are creating billions of loose fibers of carbon that are next to impossible to get off the shaft completely. I NEVER sand a shaft.

Quit rubbing the shaft down with alcohol. All you need to use is a clean rag with regular tap water. Never use any solvent when using "super" glues.

Definetly quit wiping the vanes down with alcohol. The vanes have a thin layer of bonding agent applied to them that promotes adhesion and you are only decreasing the adhesion properties of the glue and vane when you do this.

Do this........... Scrape off the old fletchings. Wipe down with a clean rag and water. Place the vanes in the clamps, apply the glue and close the clamp. Let sit for 10 - 15 seconds and open the clamp. Remove the arrow and wipe off any excess glue. When you are finished with all the arrows you can go out and shoot within 5 or 10 minutes.

After posting this I went to NAP's web site and found the instructions for the QS vanes.
http://www.newarchery.com/instructions/quikspin.pdf
wow, thats the complete opposite of what the instructions have always told me. Like bondtite from bohning.

Actually I used to do it the way your describing years ago and it didn't work out for me unless its a aluminum arrow. The alcohol helped me alot. It should add any agents especially if you use 95%. Sanding, you may got a point. I might try that. But water does leave a film. In my industry of fiber and optics, water is a huge no no cause of that. 95% iso Alco is ok'd however.