HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer feeding banned in ny what about you??
Old 10-09-2002, 08:04 PM
fletchdp

Default RE: deer feeding banned in ny what about you??

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
A local bioligist spilled the beans so to speak when he said that &quot;because of baiting , Wisconsin is failing to keep deer numbers in check&quot;
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
BOWFANATIC
Elaborate a little on this statement. I don't understand what the biologist meant by this comment....

monsterbuckland
That was not meant for you, I understand your post was not intended to turn into a &quot;ethics debate&quot;. I did get a little irritated by the implication that anyone who chooses to suplimental feed is a &quot;slob&quot; (Huckleburrys post) or, not &quot;REAL HUNTERS&quot; as Smitty 1 would have you believe.

Smitty 1, I spend lots of time in the woods during preseason, just like you. I love to visit the pasture, scouting, sitting stands with my video camera, adjusting stand locations when travel patterns aren't as expected. Isn't that what &quot;REAL HUNTERS&quot; do.

Monsterbuckland, your right about the deer size. I wish I could say they were big but the truth is, the bucks I hunt will only avg 120-140 lbs., 200 pounders are very rare indeed but sometimes one will hit the ground. That has nothing to do with health of the herd though, I think there's something like ,what, 25 or so different subspecies. They basicly have adapted to their climate over time, or at least that's what I think...
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
how hard is it to get up @ 9:00 a.m. go to the feeder and wait for the first buck to show up,,, com'on guys
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Smitty 1
This is exactly the myth I am trying to address. I wish you could come spend a weekend with me and see how it really is. The conditions we hunt are just different, the terain, the natural food supply, how and where they bed up.

While it is true that YEARLING BUCKS AND DOES could sometimes be harvested if a person sits over a feeder at 9:00 AM like you suggest. We just don't target that age group for harvest. The deer we do harvest as I said before just don't come to those feeders during daylight, rut or no rut, they just don't come. So we spend 90% of our time hunting ambush points &quot;just like you&quot;. As a group, we are not &quot;LAZY, SLOPPY, UNETHICAL&quot; hunters, just bowhunter who love the challenge of going head to head with a mature buck, nothing like it...

Man I sure could use some help here from my Texas buddies..how bout it guys.......Brothers in bowhunting...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch