HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - S&W model 36
Thread: S&W model 36
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Charley

Default RE: S&W model 36

$150 is a good price for a Smith. I bought an almost identical early M36 aboutfive years ago from a gunsmith friend who just wanted to turn it quickly. Mine was an SAPD officer's backup gun for almost 20 years. Finish was worn a little, but inside was like new. Did just a bit of polishing and the action went from smooth to really smooth! It's my favorite "not carrying a gun" carry gun because it is so compact. Because of the five round capacity, I carry a Bianchi Speed Strip with an additional gunload of ammo when I do carry it. My carry load is Pro-Load's 110 grain standard pressure JHP. One round is no test, of course, but used as a finisher on a whitetail, one round thru the ribcage/lung area gave about 12 inches of penetration, with the bullet lodged under the hide on the offside. Expansion was to .501 inches, range was about six feet.Not bad for anon +P .38 Special.
Learn to use the sights and some trigger control, and the M36 becomes much more than a 'short range defensive gun". You can hit much further out than most folks will believe.