HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Success with the ML!
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:58 PM
westbrooklawn
Spike

Default Success with the ML!

Muzzleloader season for my North Carolina Region opened on Saturday, but I wasn't able to get out until this morning. In my stand at 5:30, and got to watch a great sunrise. The squirrels were active as usual, and about 8:15 I heard some ground activity to the left of my stand in some dense brush. Thinking it was squirrels again, I leaned around to look, and was surprised to find that the noise was a nice size doe moving in the woods. I watched for about 15 minutes, and could make out more deer behind her, but they were simply feeding and moving very slowly. They finally made it into the clearing in front of my stand. Two nice size does, and two smaller ones. After watching for another 3-5 minutes, I picked the larger doe at about 25 yds. and took my shot. When the smoke cleared I was amazed that the deer hadn't gone down where she stood. After waiting about 20 minutes I got down and quickly found a good blood trail leading back into the brush. I found her about 30 yards from where she was hit. The shot had gone in just behind the right shoulder and exited about2 inches forward and lower on the other side... the deer's heart was pulverized... it always amazes me how an animal can travel 25 yds. with that type of trauma.

This was my first deer with a muzzleloader, and while I would like to have harvested a nice buck, I feel very good about it for three reasons... 1. I will have some nice venison in the freezer, 2. I now feel confident about my ML capabilities, and 3. Now I can concentrate on hunting a buck!

Gun season opens next Saturday, but I really am hoping I might have some luck the rest of this week and get that "first buck" with the muzzle loader! Wish I had a picture to share, but I didn't have a camera handy, and took the deer to a local processor shortly after I field dressed her. Muzzleloading is fun!!