HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we really better off as hunters today?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Hemi

Default RE: Are we really better off as hunters today?

Tango,

Not sure if Im old enough (32)to really have a valid opinion on the good ole days vs present times but I am going to throw in my 2cents. I grew up and still live in ranch country in the Southern Interior of BC. My dad as well as my uncles all hunted as far back as I can remember. Mostly for the sole purpose of filling the freezer with wild game. I remember tagging along as a young 'un and watched more young bucks vs old bucks shot. I recall asking why not shoot the bigger buck? I was more often than not told the younger bucks taste better and the horns make piss poor soup! They were not trophy hunters although there is some very large species hanging on their walls. I recall hunting all through the valley on private land as well as crown, ranchers were happy enough to let you take an animal on their property...just close the gates behind you and dont shoot my cows was the normal response. Another thing I noticed was the whole social aspect of getting together with all my uncles and family friends at hunting camp. Other hunters from nearby camps stopped in to shoot the bull and swap tales. It was for sure a different time and Im only going back 20-25 years.

times have changed drastically....the world over. Never mind just hunting and out methods etc... Permission on private land is sacred these days. Too many bad apples ruined it in this area over the years. You dont dare stop in someone elses camp because you are perceived as a threat or scoping out their camp on what you can steal while their out the next day....and to be honest its happened to us and its hard to let your gaurd down to perfect strangers out there and Im a peoples person. As for the commercial end of it, its hard to not have all the latest and greatest tech that can bring you home at the end of the day to your family...ie the GPS. radios, cell phones etc... My self like most...i have all the above. I know my way around the mountains pretty well but I admit the new stuff sure is nice when you need it most. As for the trophy hunting end of it...I got sucked into that whole racket this year hunting sheep for my very first time. I put alot of pressure on myself to pull out that monster ram thats supposed to be there....and for what? I was lucky enough to shoot a respectable California Bighorn...not massiveon the tape but I have to admit its BY FAR the most memorable hunting experience of my life!! Therefore to me, thats the biggest trophy of my life to date. Im not sure if it was alot better 30-40-50- years ago or not but I know this is what we have to work at right now....and hopefully enough voices and opinions can shape the future to come. All I know is Im thankfull everyday that I live the life I live, where I live, and try to pass on as much positive information and education to my 2 little kids in hopes the caring and respect I have foreverthing around me is passed on through them. This is only my 2cents on my limited outlook on the subject!

Have a safe season!