HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning Wool hunting pants
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM
okcmco

Default RE: Cleaning Wool hunting pants

Hey. Re you talking about Filson Huntiung pants (IE real expensive) Or some JC Higgins or army surplus wool pants. Anyway I just learned a way to get blood out of clothes. Us a half a cup of Kosher salt and let it soak15-30 min after the washer is full. That takes care of hte blood.
If you jave a pair of army surplus wools (IE cheapSwiss or czech cold weather pants), try the salt first in a sink of luke warm water. Then add some of the hunting scent free soap and hand wash. Rinse really well and Block dry. Lay your pants out flat on a towel and flip them over every 2 hours till dry. Or you might hang them up. See how this works and how it affects the wool. If you get no piling or shrinkage then you can use it on other stuff. The millitary stuff says dry clean only but I have had good luck handwashing. The secret is that you want a very gentle detergent so as not to strip the lanolon oils from the wool (and woolite has perfumes and scents in it).
BTW you may check with some organic health supermarkets or websites for some natural scent free soaps. Those hippies have alot of stuff like that.
Good luck.
okcmco
PS I wear mostly wool in the field too. Can't beat it.