HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow Hunting from the Ground - Tactics.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Dubbya
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Hunting from the Ground - Tactics.

Some of the things that I take into consideration besides the obvious of wind and camo are:

1. I make sure that I am not skylined or shilouetted against the sky. I generally like to sit next to something a little fatter that way I can move more and still be concealed within the outline of the tree or whatever it is.

2. If possible I sit in an area that is not dried leaves, this allows me to shift my feet when needed. If not, I make sure an clear an area to the dirt so that I can move slowly.

3. I always have my bow either on my lap or lying on the ground next to me, with an arrow nocked at all times. When hunting on the ground getting an arrow out and getting it nocked adds a lot of possible noise and movement.

4. I try to pick ground that is not flat. I personally like areas that have small hills or washouts. Here in OK, some of the washouts are 6 feet deep. This allows me to walk thourgh the washouts and never be seen.

Anyway, I guess I will write some more if I can think of them.