HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes TSX Seating Depth
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barnes TSX Seating Depth

Barnes bullets generally don't give as much as say a nosler BT. They are guilding copper, and will build less peak pressure if loaded back some from the rifling. Think of something shooting youthru a door, would you rather have more momentum when hitting the door?

Barnes X bullets notoriously had tough times getting the velocity some of its competitors get without pressure signs.

What I have learned over the years, is its best first to find what COL it takes for your bullet to hit the rifling, and then find out what COL will fit reliably in your mag and chamber easy. Some short action calibers in long action guns, your limiting factor may be the chamber/throat distance, but most long action calibers, your mag is the limiting factor.

For Barnes and barrel burning guns, I like to be .1" or moreaway from the rifling. For say a 7mm-08 or 308, I would want to be .05" away or more.

Trying to always be against the rifling is tough. Its the biggest mistake I see new reloaders make. Changing seating depth is one tool you can use to drop pressure or increase accuracy. I have had some guns where it likes to be seated .25" away believe it or not.