HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good long-range deer calibers.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 AM
stubblejumper
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

ORIGINAL: superslam

THOUGH I WORK AT REMINGTON AND OWN REMINGTON GUNS I SHOOT A 300 WEATHERBY MAG. AND THESE ARE SOME HARD HITTING GUNS I FEEL LIKE THEY ARE A GOOD FLAT SHOOTING GUN ALSO.I CAN SAY THAT I HAVE NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER HAD A DEER TAKE MORE THAN 2 STEPS AFTER GETTING HIT BY ONE OF THESE WITH A 185 GRAIN BULLET. SO MY RECOMENDATION WOULD BE THE 300 WEATHERBY MAG.
Which 185grbullet are you using?If you were going to even consider the 300wby,you might just as well use the 300 ultramag as it produces even more velocity and factory loads are lower priced than weatherby factory loads.Both are overkill to the extreme ,produce considerable recoil,barrel life is not overly long,and 90% ofhunters don't possess the shooting skills to take advantage of thesuper flat trajectory.In other words either is a verypoor choiceunless you are a very experienced shooter,have access to a 400yard or 500 yard range,and are willing to spend considerable time and expense to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary to take advantage of the super flat trajectory that these cartridges offer.