HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we really better off as hunters today?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
tangozulu
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are we really better off as hunters today?

thanks for everyones comment;
A few more of my own'
-wolf killer- I have read some of your posts in your own forum and i do hope I am not heading down the road of hanging up my guns. In fact this year was a wash out for me (no time)and I really do need to get out hunting asap next year. It will be the campfire, clear water and camping with my family, not a kill, that will fill the void. Hopefully the trip will produce its usualy half dozen close calls and big ones that get away. The stuff of campfire tales.
-cherokee- thanks for the insite reguard the elk foundation. I guess this is simply empire building that seems to be a natural progression of any beaurocracy. I think this is an example of just too much money. Pretty soon you get a bit bigger so need to hire more staff which means you need to raise more money and to build a bigger office.............After a while everyone forgot why the Assoc was formed in the first place and half the staff wouldn't know an elk from a full curl moose. Please hang onto the passion, I have seen too many young outfitters here in bc payin a million bucks for a concession and in the end their bankers put so much preasure on them they kill way too much game to make ends meet. In the end they have to sell out and the next guy has a 1.2 million loan over his head.
-Brutal Attack- I do try to not focus on the negetive. All change is not bad. For instance this forum, agreat place for all of us to talk about our favorite passtime. Unfortunately this has taken the place of the campfire at the trail head where horses were once packed and others set up their camp. Once the chores got done everyone got together to meet new friend and enjoy the company of like minded people. Today we would all look at each other as the competion. Outfitters are advertising "You wont see any resident hunters." Whats up with that. Guided hunters are residents too when they are at home.
-ShatoDavis-I think you nailed it with the comment of just not being as much fun. So maybe this is the key to gettin back in time. I know that my new daughter (8 weeks)will get an outdoor education from her old Dad. Whether or not she becomes a hunter is up to her, but I know she will learn to love the mtns from mom and dad. I remember when there was a lot more wonder in the world and I hope my daughter can show me how to see it again.