HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we really better off as hunters today?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:50 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Are we really better off as hunters today?

Are we better off? Maybe in some respects. Most likely not in others. The real question should be: Are our children better or at least as well off as we. I don't know but I lean towards no. We can bash gadgets,High fences, feeders, food plots, USO, Trophy fees, et al. But, in the end it will do no good. Its not for me but to each their own.

There is too much emphasis on score these days. There is too much emphasis on the kill and too little on the experience. I ask you what feeds the high fence/feeder/food plot/gadget craze? The need to kill a bigger animal than the feller on the hunting show last weekend thats what.

The big species get the spot light but you don't have to look very far to see the problem if you look. Take small game for example. I remember when every body either owned or had access to a fine quail dog. Nowadays, there aren't enough quail to keep one dog per county in shape. Rabbit hunting was an every weekend pastime in my youth. Now a rabbit would have to pack his lunch to survive in my state. Sure there is a lot of deer and turkey but no more quail or rabbits. Why? because deer and turkey bring in the $.

Deer camp use to be a social gathering in the woods. You packed in to live in nature if only for a brief time. Nowroughing it isusing the"gameboy" instead of thePlaystation 2. Its definately diferent, whether its better or worse is not for me to decide. My personal opinion is that it isn't as much fun.

Your right! you use to be able to drive up to a farmers house and get permission to hunt. Not now. But you can't blame the farmer in today's sue everybody mentality. Besides I don't want others hunting my farm, where would I hunt? I don't know how there can be less hunters when it sure seems like there is more pressure. I guess the reason is that we used to have a lot of folks that would go for the pheasant opener instead of deer hunting. Now that it really isn't an option we are all in the deer woods. etc.