HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Deerslayer_37

Default RE: ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS

that field and stream article by david petzal was very well written and researched. Barnes Triple Shock, Winchester Fail Safe,and Hornady Interbond were supposed to be the 3 best bullets he tested. My pops and I were looking for some .280 rounds for his deer rifle, and the Fail Safe's in .280 were $27.99. The fail safe is really too much for deer, almost overkill. One of the best constructed bullets on the market, but it's almost too heavy duty for a whitetail.

With proper bullet placement, the SST and Ballistic tip work wonders. they can expand at range. however, at close range, they can blow up on bone. During your average deer hunt, there are many factors that could cause your aim to be off a little. Even if you always put it in the ribs, there could be that one time a twig moves your bullet off course or you just get excited and aim too far forward. That's why with well constructed bullets you won't have a problem. Most well constructed 130 grain .270 Win bullets will go right through shoulder bone. Interbond's and Accubonds are pretty much the best bullets on the market right now for deer; they offer the low drag of the polymer tip with the strong construction of a bonded bullet. doesn't get any better.

One question for you all:I've shot Remington Core Lokt's from a .270, .280, and .30-06 into targets where i can recover the bullets, and more often than not, the jacket seperates from the core. Anyone else noticed this? i gutted out a deer for my uncle that had a clean through and through wound, but i found the jacket of the bullet inside the deer.i thought it was odd..