HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady light mag
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: Hornady light mag

ORIGINAL: bigbuck13754

I use remington 180 led round rose soft point. I want to use something that will compete will a 7 mill mag.
That's why I tried them, to get 7 mag performance. ... and you should (try them) too. If they shoot well in your gun, they will have a little more power down range and there is no reason not to use them. They will kick a little more and are more expensivein case that matters.

BUt if they don't shoot well for you, don't worry. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that the difference between the 7 mag and the '06 is very minor and really wouldn't affect my ability to kill a deer, elk ormoose at the ranges I hunt.I think you'll find the trajectory for both in similar bullets, iswithinand inch or so out to at least 300 yards, and both are easy to zero for point blank aiming at least that far. (e.g.3 or so inches high at 100).You'll find that the difference in knock down power might exist on paper, but the effect on the game is probably not there, at least at the ranges I hunt. Look at the trajectory and the ft. lbs and decide if it's important for your hunting.

As someone mentioned, the major mfgrs. make "premium" grade bullets in normal loads. For example, I've tried a couple and settled on the 180 Remington Safari Grade (which I believe is a Swift A-Frame bullet) as an alternative to the regular Corelokts for moose. Interestingly, they sight about the same in my gun so I can switch between the two with only about an inch shift (side to side) at 100 yds. In the past I used the Remington Swift Scirocco which I believe is a bonded type bullet, and it shot well too and killed a moose! Federal and Winchester have factory ammo with premium bullets as well- you can pretty much research which bullet you think wouldbe best then find it in a factory load andfigure out which one shoots well for your gun.