HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - traditions 50 cal
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: traditions 50 cal

ORIGINAL: wazzy

whats the range and how bad is it in accurate. what would u suggest for starter un 300 dollars in break open im planning bp elk hunt in colorado in 2006
I don't LIKE inlines, but I have two of them. Both are Traditions, of the bolt-action persuasion, both scoped, and both are about as accurate as any out there-a .45 and a .50. Accuracy depends on the gun, the bullet, and the powder charge. IMO, if you select the right bullet for a given gun, and are willing to work at developing a load for maximum accuracy, you will probably be able to get accuracy of at least 2 MOA from any brand out there.

I would not hesitate to use either of my Traditions rifles out to 150 yards with the loads I have developed for them. I use a Lyman 457122 HP 342-grain bullet in the .45, sized to .451", with 90 grains of 777 FFFg. It is capable of less that 1.5" groups at 100 yards. The .50 will shoot as well with a White400-grain .503" with 90 grains of Pyrodex P. Both of these loads have plenty of authority.

However, I have two custom-made sidelocks with Bill Large barrels, and both are 1 MOA riles using heavy loads with Maxi-Balls. So these are my hunting rifles, except of course in flintlock season!

Wazzy, whatever you buy, work up agood full-bore diameter conical bullet load for it, since you can't use sabots in Colorado!