HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trouble Tapering for points
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trouble Tapering for points

takes quite a bit of patience to make this thing work along with some minor blistering on occasion .

Try flipping the blade over (flat side up). If your blade is not super sharp (which they usually are NOT), you'll run into problems. Much like a spokeshave when tull it has a tendacny to tear more then cut, or does nothing at all.

Next getting the blade to the proper angle is only second to being scary sharp. It really is a decent tool however this is the one downfall of the hole system. The blades dull fast enough and resetting the blade is enough of a pain I went to using a disc sander or a woodchuck (have both).

One way to get super close is to take a shaft that's been tapered and you know it's spot on with what you want. NO sense in copying someone else's error right. Now run to the hardware store and for5 bucks or so they have a cheap angle guage that shows multiple functions. Without it, you're just guessing at where it should be.

Sharp blades and proper angle and this little snazzy tool works wonders.

One tip someone else gave me that I havent tried yet. He builds arrows on a scale I wouldn't deal with. He takes his true center (from 3 rivers), put's it in a vise mounted to his table. Once it's set up right he'll chuck up one end of the shaft in a jig he made for his drill and spins away. The higher revolutions give's it some hope to cut but again without a sharp blade it will only tear and eventuall do nothing all together.

best of luck.