HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - which pistol caliber?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: which pistol caliber?

A ruger single six in .22lr/.22wmr. Or a taurus revolver. Auto's I would look at a ruger or browning buckmark. There are others, but I have experience with these and know they work well.

From what I have heard the HI Point pistols are crap, I wouldn't waste the money on one. However I have heard the carbines are not that bad. I wouldn't bet my life on either though.

If you are looking for centerfire 9mm, .40 or 45 cal you are going to have to spend some money to a get a good one. The words cheap and auto handgun usually don't mix well. If you want a bargain look at getting a revolver in .357. You can shoot .357 or .38's out of them. Some even let you shoot 9mm out of them if you change the cylinder.

There are alot of good autoloader handguns on the market though. I wouln't expect to pay less than $400 for a decent one though. I personally like Browning and glocks. Lots of other good ones however.

To be honest a decent .22 rifle would be better though. They are cheaper, easier to get, more accurate and quieter. Not a handgun though. Most ranges will let you shoot a .22 rifle however.

If you are not going to hunt or defend yourself with it I say just get a .22 revolver. They are a blast to shoot and inexpensive.

Paul