HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need fast info
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I need fast info

I am going on a texas hunt in a week. I want to shoot my Traditional 54cal that I have never shot beforeand maybe take it if I can shoot it. The problem is I dont have anything but the gun and ram rod. How far do you guys shoot traditionals? Also, what do I need to get? What do you guys recomend?

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER[/b]

Pyrodex **
Triple Se7en
Goex
Black Mag3
American Pioneer Powder
- loose or pellet[/ul]

[/b]
TOOLS NEEDED[/b]
[/b]

See through powder measure **
Cleaning jag **
Bore guide (not essential)
Cleaning mop
Patch worm **
Bore brush **
Short starter **
Capper/de-capper
Loading jag for the projectile **
Nipple pick
Breech plug removal tool – socket set with long extensions works also[/ul]

CLEANING SUPPLIES[/b]

Isopropyl alcohol 91% **
Car windshield washer fluid
Bore butter or lube for conical bullets **
Gun Oil – Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP **
Q-tip safety swabs
Cleaning Patches **
Bore Solvents[/ul]

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
Butch’s Bore Shine **
M.A.P. – Murphy’s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide[/ol]

[/b]
[/b]
PROJECTILES[/b]
[/b]

Sabots for the caliber of rifle
Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
Conicals **
Roundball and patch **
Breech plug grease – CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease[/ul]
these are just some of the things I usually feel people will need to start shooting a rifle. Of course if you get one item you might not need a different one depending on the rifle you are going to shoot. I placed a ** for ones that might apply to you.

Since your shooting a .54 caliber traditional rifle, I would get some Pyrodex RS which is about the available almost everywhere. I would also get some .015 pre lubed patches for the .54 caliber and some Hornady .530 roundball. This .54 caliber should be good to 100 yards with practice and even further depending on how good of a shot you are. If you can place it, the .54 caliber roundball will kill it.

You did not mention the make of the rifle but most all of my .54 caliber rifles shoot their best roundball group in the 80-100 grains range with a patched roundball. With open sights these rifles will shoot a 4" group off the bench most times.

Depending on the barrel twist your rifle has, 1-48 twist will shoot roundball and conical. You will have to try some different conicals like the Great Plains, Buffalo Bullet Concials, and R.E.A.L. conicals to see if your rifle will shoot them. Some of them will even shoot the 406 grain Powerbelts real well. My Lyman Trade rifle shoots Powerbelts pretty good actually. If the rifle has a 1-60 or 1-66 twist, then you should probably shoot roundball.