HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dealing with snow
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
racowboy
Fork Horn

Default RE: dealing with snow

Start with a good pair of pac style boots. I suggest tall Schnee's with air bobs out of Montanna with thinsulite liners. You can wear gators if you want, but Schnees boots pretty much keep the moisture out. These boots fit great, don't pull your socks down, and fit a sturrip. Stay away from cotton clothes including socks and underware. Wool is great, but so are a lot of the water repellant goretex parkas with thinsulite liners and will do the same thing. Wool stays warm when wet, but wet is still wet. Poly underware and you can get the stuff that doesn't hold odor. Make sure that you layer clothing.....you can always take something off if you get too hot, but the only thing you can do wrong is not have enough clothes. I guided the Bitteroots and sometimes stayed in for a month at a time with gortex, polyfleece, and the schnees boots with out any problems. Throw in a couple wool shirts or sweaters and that windstopper stuff is great. In bad weather always leave camp like you might not make it back that night and you'll be in good shape, not like that guy from New York I found in 98.