HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any lucky NYers?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
SalCucco

Default RE: Any lucky NYers?

I was up in chenago county this sunday by Whitney Point and boy was the wind howling and the off and on again rain didn't help much. But i think i had the best day in the woods yet in my 19 years of hunting. Me and my friend just left my brother at about 10:00am deciding if we were going to leave or stay the afternoon. As we were walking down a logging road my friend puts out his cigarette and wants to do a stalk for deer.Now i say to him what are the chances of us sneaking up on a deer with tree stands on our backs and him just finishing a smoke...well sure enough we round a bend in the logging road and he spots 3 does feeding. We drop to all fours, ditch the tree stands off our backs then crawl about 20 yards through the woods to where we could get a shot at the deer. I let him attempt the first shot because he has yet to get a deer with his bow but as he is drawing the doe spooks and jumps away a little.

I guess the saying curiosity kills the cat (or the doe in this case) is truebecause she never winded us and she didn't hear us she just saw some odd movement on a very windy day. Well sure enough here she comes again but this time i wasn't being so generous so now its my shot. After about another 5 minutes of slow approach by the doe her head goes behind a tree, i draw and put a great shot on her at about 15 yards. HOLY SMOKE WAS THAT A THRILL.