HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Marlin 336 Questions
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
zekeskar

Default Marlin 336 Questions

I posted in another thread about the Marlin 336 I picked up for a good price from a private party at a local gun show. The gun is from 1976 according to the serial number. It is in nearly new condition; I think it was purchased and used very little (like a lot of guns, no?).

I'm going to order a users manual from Marlin which will answer some of these questions. I've searched a little for these questions, but don't have good answers yet. So,I'll ask you all.

I've never owned a lever gun but have used pumps, bolts and semi-autos in shot guns and rifles. I've handled guns for about 45 years and was trained very diligently by my dad and gun safety class. I know how to handle the above kinds of guns safely. I feel comfortable knowing when to use the safety with a shell in the chamber vs. when I should empty the chamber.

But this lever gun does not have a "safety". In playing around with it (unloeaded of course) it appears that the "half cock" position is a "safety" position. Is this true? I've tested the gun's trigger in this position with a lot of force and it does not fire. I have also attempted to force the hammer to fire and it holds and does not move. Is this the acceptedway of carrying the gun if I want a shell in the chamber - for example, equivalent to a bolt or pump gun with the safety on?

How about the hammer down position - is this also a safety position with a shell in the chamber? The only thought I have is that if the hammer is hit forward, could it push the firing pin and fire the round? I can't really tell by looking at the gun. If it is a "safety" position, I think I'd prefer the bolt fully forward just so it's not sticking out so much, snagging on stuff.

I'm going to install a small scope in the next coupleof days (a low power variable or fixed depending on what I like and can afford). I'm thinking that in order to mount the scope as low as possible, I'd like to remove the rear iron sight. I believe this style of sight is called buckhorn or leaf? How to do this? Special tools required? How about the front sight? It is a loop of metal with a post. I have no idea whether either of these sights will interfere with the scope, and I'll leave them in place if it's not a problem, but I'm just wondering how to remove them if necessary.

Finally trigger pull: I was comparing the trigger pull to my Winchestermod. 70 30-06 which has been adjusted nicely by a gun smith. The Marlin is a little heavier, but doesn't seem awful. Is it fairly common to have the trigger worked on on these guns? I know I was pretty happy with the difference on my Winchester, but am wondering if it is something that can be done effectively on a Marlin 336 or is it something that either just isn't done or can't be done very well.

Thanks for all past and future advice!