HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shot placement questions
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shot placement questions

the 2 shots you are talking about are actually a neck shot....in the center of the neck...with drops the deer in its tracks.....and the point of the shoulder.....where the neck and shoulder come together..put a bullet through that bone does ALOT of damage.....disables the deers front legsby "breaking him down" or busting both shoulders...and if you dont hit the spine(alot of times you can) the bullet shock will get to the spine....and drop it in its tracks.......both shots sound fine and dandy....but that is a small target....maybe...2-4 inches tops??? you gota be a good shot...know your gun..know your capabilaties...and know that that is where your going to hit.....but i dont know that you can actually wound with either shot...either hit or miss from my thinking...i may be wrong...but a high shoulder shot you hit the spine or miss.....low your essentially in the boiler room.....left your in the neck or miss depending on neck angle...and right your still probably going to spine or boiler room the deer..(deer facing to the left broadside)....but i think there is a small area...above the lungs and below the spine...that if hit to the right may wound the deer....and leave little trail to follow....but then again it may die and that could be a myth from my thinking....but still no or little blood to follow...a hole in its diaphram should kill it right??? maybe not imnot sure......and a neckshot...you can pretty much hit anywhere in the neck region and still drop it by shock from the bullet....but i dont want to have a parlyzed deer on the ground flopping and bawling.....and you can just graze it and rip its windpipe open...and have a lost wounded deer.....but alot of guys swear by these shots...and if you have the right circumstances and can make them they can be deadly shots....then again so can headshots....but they arent for everone.......and not all the time.......