HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any one use a rifled slug gun with iron sigths? What about reduced recoil slugs?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:09 PM
lswoody
Fork Horn

Default Any one use a rifled slug gun with iron sigths? What about reduced recoil slugs?

My Dad has a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel and iron sights. Dad doesn't deer hunt but the gun belonged to my Mom's Daddy. Anyway i'm thinking about using it some on Army corp. land that doesn't allow rifles. I cannot stand the recoil of this gun with the 2*3/4" slugs. I read in a couple of magazines about some reduced recoil slugs. Anyone tried this reduced recoil slugs? Is there a major difference in the recoil? Also, I am not use to using iron sights, at what range should I keep my shots? In reference to that question, one of the articles said what the manufacturers suggestfor the max. range for their reduced recoil slug. One was 75 yds. while another was 40yds. But the 40 yd. slug was suggested for young children and small people. Any brand recomendations? Thanks, Scott Woody