HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Time Bow Hunter; Looking for land Advice.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Dufus1964

Default RE: 1st Time Bow Hunter; Looking for land Advice.

Hunt the corner where the timber juts into the crops. During early bow season set up a ground blind out in the field, that way no matter which trail the deer use, you will be at their destination. You should see a lot of deer using this corner to enter the field. Put the blind out a few days before hunting and use some natural grass or brush to camo it. Once deer get used to the blind, you can move it around to set up a better ambush. Also, I like to dig a trench and bury the edges of my blind in 2" of dirt and tape some Saran Wrap over the shooting windows to keep your scent inside. You can shoot right through the plastic wrapping with bow or gun.

Hunt the food source in the eveningsduring early season and close (but not too close) to the beds in the morning.

Also look for areas where three different habitats meet, i.e., crops, forests, and pasture, or hardwoods, pines and brush, or crops, grass, overgrown fields. These are called wildlife headquarters and typically hold all kinds of wildlife. Remember that deer prefer edge habitat and will only feed near the edge of cover during daylight. If you can get to the deer before hunting pressure puts them on high alert, you should be able to harvest a nice, mature buck.
"Takeyour kids hunging so you don't have to hunt for your kids!" Ted Neugent

"Let the smallbucks grow, shoot a doe!" TDF in Alabama