HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Small acreage mgmt
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Dufus1964

Default Small acreage mgmt

I have recently purchased 113 acres in prime whitetail area of Mobile County Alabama. The topo is rolling hills. I have 3 ditches with hardwoods in them and 26 acres of hardwood bottoms, mostly around the edges. The property is shaped like a backwards L when facing north from the south property line. A trust owns the 42 acres in the NW corner. I have thick bottoms on 2 sides, a highway on one side and a neighbor who leases the 200 acres on the east side. I have contacted a state wildlife biologist and he is helping me put together a long range plan for deer mgmt and timber production.He is as green asa two leaf clover that justemerged.I plan to bowhunt only. I have hunting clubs and/or individual hunters on all sides. I would like to take some does for meat and letyoung bucks grow old. The entire property, minus the hardwoods mentioned earlier, was a pine plantation that was clear cut in 2002, it has not been replanted, therefore, I have a lot of natural browse. I have cleared 16 acres total. I planted two five acre plots, one of which is by the hwy and will be used for horses planted in winter rye grass and crimson clover with bahia grass that will sprout in spring 2006. I also planted4 small hunting plots about 1 acre each and cleared some roadside mgmt zones. The prevailing wind is perfect to hunt any part of the property. I have seen many, many, tracks and the plots are immature as yet. I would like to use this forum to get ideas, and keep a discussion ongoing in the mgmt of this property. My goal is to have a trophy in 4 to 5 years and at the same time provide meat and bowhunting excitement for my family. Any ideas?

Bowhunting since Oct. 2002