HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel call on deer
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
max the dog

Default Squirrel call on deer

I was out in the woods this weekend blasting at the tree rats when during a quiet time I saw a couple of doe's who had a feeling somebody was there but didn't see or smell me yet. Now during deer season I usually carry 3 calls; a grunt tube, a rattle bag and a turkey call. If a deer busts me in the woods I usually will make an attempt to calm it by running a peg over slate to give it the impression that I'm a wild turkey. It doesn't always work but has worked enough times for me to bring it in the woods every time. Whene the deer appeared I had none of those calls. What I did have with me was a squirrel call. It's nothing more than a small set of bellows attached to a wooden tube with a reed in the middle. All you do is tap the bellows to make a very convincing squirrel bark. I wasn't deer hunting but I still didn't want to spook the deer too badly so without a better option I used the squirrel call. It worked better than the turkey call. The doe's immediatly calmed down and went about their buisness.
It got me thinking about why it worked so well. Think about it guys, what's the noisiest animal in the woods? In my part of the country it's the ten zillion squirrels that are everywhere. You almost never hear a herd of deer or a flock of turkeys make half the noise a single squirrel makes running across leaves.
Does anyone else use a squirell call during deer season?