HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer management
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
dkhamner
Fork Horn

Default deer management

my cousin is a farmer in the texas panhandle and several years ago started planting peanuts. the past several years all the farmers in the general area were having a very tough time with wild hogs devistating their crops. this year, on my cousins big peanut field, the problem is not as much the wild hogs as it is the whitetail deer. we have been out spotlighting for hogs and we've counted more than 150 deer in one field.here in the next week or two he will start to harvest his peanuts. the deer aren't digging the peanuts up like the pigs do but when starts to flip the peanuts in the field to dry before picking them up, he's very concerned about what the deer will do. he's going to ask the Game Warden dept. if he can get some license or if there is anything he can do to drop this huge population of deer. does anyone know if there is anything legal he can do like the above mentioned? opening deer season earlywould be nice seeing the deer season opens a few weeks after the harvest. any suggestions to give my cousin?