HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 45 acp s and w revolver
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:01 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 45 acp s and w revolver

I carried a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP for years. If you do not think that a .45 ACP has nostopping power, no matter what your shooting at, I'd think again. If you're carrying it in the woods for your own personal safety then you have already decided your shots, when being forced to use it would be at very close range and in as rapid a fire mode as possible. Here I always felt the .45 ACP shined. It is a controllable cartridge even when double tapping, andwith practice can be shot accurate also.

Whether it would killa bear at close quarters, I could not say since I never tried it. I will say that if a bear was a threat at close quarters, and you were proficient with that weapon, you could sure make that animal wonder if you were worth the risk of attack. I know it will take a whitetail deer off their feet and lay them out right now. Other then a bear, I could not think of something you might encounter in the woods that you would not more then match for battle.

The other real beauty of the .45 ACP is the accuracy many of the pistols and revolvers display with that cartridge. We were shooting at some extreme distances with the .45 ACP and doing a real good job. My friend was fortunate enough to fall into a deal on an old Model 1911 that when you looked at the way the pistol fit together you doubted it would fire, but that was as smooth and accurate a piece, as I have ever fired.

I think for protection, you made a wise choice. I've seen people with the .44 mag and .41 mags and bigger, that could not hit a bull in the you know where because of the recoil of the handgun. I just wish the common sense fairy would have floated down and slapped me up side the head, the day I sold that Colt Combat Commander I owned. But what was offered at the time for exchange seemed like far too good a deal. Live and learn.

Enjoy your hand cannon.