HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - muzzleloader
Thread: muzzleloader
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader

Sidelocks are every bit as dependable as an inline once you learn how to treat them. Granted when hunting in wet weather you need to take steps to keep moisture away from them but in over 20 years of hunting with them, I had two misfires in sidelocks when hunting. Both of those misfires were my fault, not the rifles.

Because a sidelock uses a #11 igntion cap pellets are not recommended. Pellets require a large flame to hit them suddenly and the #11 cap, although it will fire the pellets, you have a much quicker and better ignition with loose powder.

The use of loose powder is almost always recommended with sidelock rifles. Also the Bobcat is not a magnum rifle. There will be no need to shoot loads over 100 grains that I could think of. The Bobcat has a 1-48 twist and because of that, will shoot roundball, and conical. Some people have even shot sabots from them with luck. You would have to try the rifle to see what it likes to shoot best.

I have a Mountain Stalker which was Bass Pro Shops model of the Bobcat. I can tell you from experience that it will take deer at moderate ranges just fine.