HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated
Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 07:36 AM
gkaraff

Default RE: Frustrated

"what others are looking at when comparing price and performance"

As to this question, here's how I advise my customers.

If you are interested in buying a rifle for a once or twice a year hunting trip, buy the better quality commercialrifles - Winchester, Remmington, Browning, Howa, Tika etc and have agunsmith or me tailor it to your needs. Adjusting the trigger, trimming the butt pad, setting up the scope,choosing the right ammo etc. You will be happy with this life time investment and proud to own a well crafted and pleasing gun. All areaccurate enough to take the game you are after.

If you are wanting a rifle to throw in the back of the pickup, are interested in accuracyfor accuracy's sake andplace looks at a lower priority - then the Savage isfor you. They are accurate, functional and dependable but estheticsaren't even a consideration.They are not the rifle you pull out of the safe toshow off toyour friends.It takes extensive work and expense to make the Savageappeal to the eye.After market stocks, reblueing, action smoothing,fine fitting all take time and money.

If you are interested in a highly accurate, very pleasing, highly crafted, beautiful heirloom wood, finely finished completly functional and a real pleasure to own - spring fora Cooper or aKimberany number of semi custom offerings. They truely arelife time investments.

I would be very upset with the gunshop that sold me the Winchester. Like other have said, the Winchester trigger is adjustable and tunalbe and is completely satisfactory in a hunting rifle. Their is no need to install an after market trigger unless you are wanting the highest level of prescision but then the potential for this rifle is limited.