HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

Chad likeI said this wasn't my intended shot.

I do believe you are only partially right in the fact that on the ground if you hit the shoulder you are generally going to be to high however with ANY at all elevation this just isnt the case.

I've passed on animals people still question as to why. Needless to say I dont kill much, that's just not what gets me going as much as getting close and having that opportunity. That said hunting the game I am (obviously on average much larger then your average whitetail), I am holding off for those 'perfect' situations. That shoulder was a fluke however it did happen and there were two holes in the lungs of that doe, something you can argue (not saying you are just lack of a better word), till the cows come home but the evidence was there, two holes and one dead doe. With both legs even (neither leg forward or backwards) and getting a broadside shot on flat ground I still believe you can connect with the shoulder and still get lungs. I dont buy the fact goats and deer have the same anatomy though it maybe similiar. It's almost like saying a moose shoulder and a whitetail shoulder are even remotely the same.

My first ram, case in point was a spine shot ram. The arrow penetrated 4 to 5"es from the feathers before it was stopped. We don't go into this with the mindset that if "nothing happens", atleast Ipersonally don't. I plan for the worst but expect the best, basically setting myself up for the best situation I can. When the best doesn't happen I know my outfit will do it's job on MOST bad shots. (shoulders on a moose would be the exception to this in which neither bulls I have killed have been hit however many people make this mistake).