HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

I have to ask--why are you shooting deer in the shoulders to begin with? My bow will break bones, but I am trying to hit vitals for a quick and clean kill. Youcan get lucky with some shots--no doubt about that--but a broadside shot through the shoulder isgoing to be borderline in the vitals at best. I've seen deer that had their legs shot out from under them with high power rifles that went on forever, some not recovered--why try that with a bow? If you can hit the spine, whyaren't you hitting center of the vitals? It's a much bigger target.

I'd much rather get a double lung with a 45# bow than a gut shot or a shoulder shotwith 100#, but that's just me.

Dan, I don't question what you said, but generally speaking if you hita deer broadside in the shoulder you have goofed. I think it was PSE that had a video (been too long since I saw it--belonged to someone else, and I can't even remember who) where they dissected a goat--supposedly identical skeletal anatomy to a deer. The fellow doing the dissection (as best I can remember, he was some sort of professor, and maybe a bowhunter as well?) showed that at no time does the shoulder cover the lung area on a broadside shot--it barely covered the edge, and that was only when the leg was in the worst position.

Maybe I'm nuts, but to me a big part of hunting--especially bowhunting--is waiting for the right shot. Not that mistakes don't happen, but I won't purposely take a shot that is risky.

Chad