HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunting deer in the rain.....good or bad
Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: hunting deer in the rain.....good or bad

The deer around here seem to like light rain and mist, they actually move more. Same with snow. However if it is rainging hard or very windy I don't think they move as much. It really messes the senses they use. If it rains hard it is noisy and they can't hear as well, it also washes the scent out of the air faster. Same with heavy winds. If they do move it is very slow and they are very skittish.

However mist an snow is cool and quiet so they love to move around in that. They can hear well and it is more comfortable for them I think.

And from what I have seen they love snow storms! It just makes it hard to track them if it is snowing hard. The tracks and blood get covered up pretty fast.

And from what I have seen turkeys hate the rain! I have been out twice when it rained and they shut down. They can be very active and then they will just stop and go for cover if they are in a field. A few minutes later it will rain like magic. Then if it gets nice again they will come out in about half an hour or so and respond to calls.

I'm not an expert hunter though, just what I have seen in the pase 5 years and been told by other hunters.

Paul