HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - well it happened
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: well it happened

Either will work, so pick which ever one you feelconfident inand shows you the best return on paper. I am not sure what moose hunting is like in Colorado but long shots here in Saskatchewan and moose don't usually go hand in hand.So you'll have to find out what the expected ranges will be then deciede whichcombo gives you the best return. Moose are large animals with thick hides, large bones and muscles. They require a solid constructed bullet as such but in all honesty aren't real hard to topple. I'd suggest the following style bullets;
Nosler partitions, TBBC, swift A frames, win failsafe or Barnes. For the conventional lead bullets in the .308/180 gr or .284/160 gr will get it done. For the all copper bullets you can drop a weight if you like or stick with the same.

I am not a neck shooter so my suggestion is put it behind the front shoulder and go collect your moose...they don't go far after being hit in the vitals. I harvested mooseby way of rifle, ML& bow I can't recall a single moose that covered 100 yards after being hit with the vitals as my target.

I leave sunday for moose. Like mentioned the fun really does begin after the trigger is pulled. Last year it took us7 hours to get the meat out and back to camp on my bull. The other bull was gratious enough to fall in a location that only required a path to be chainsawed so it only took a few hours as we could haul him out whole with the quad/trailer. Worth every minute though, just wonderfuleats them swamp donkeys provide.

Best of luck and enjoy your hunt.

FYI, both bulls we harvested last year with 160gr/.284 bullets. Mine was 7mm rem mag 160gr Nosler and the other 280 rem 160 gr failsafe.