HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Timbawolf98

Default RE: 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

I've shot deer with the Federal Ballistic tips, Winchester Ballistic Silvertips (same bullet, the silvertip just has a nickel casing and a lubaloy coating on the bullet) and the Winchester Fail Safes in my 7mm08. I've taken several deer with each, but I prefer the Fail Safes of these 3 for one reason: when that deer is standing on the edge of thick cover and you can drop it with a shoulder shot versus trailing through the thick stuff, the Fail Safe can be shot into the shoulder blade to drop it in its tracks whereas the others can't (reliably anyway) Also take a look at the new Accubonds, either Hornady or Federal started loading them in140gr 7mm08 this year. They look like a BT and do expand well, but they have the jacket bonded to the core so they can't fragment or lose weight so they keep penetrating.

Edit: should have added that the Fail Safe is made for deep penetration and comes in different grades, cpx2 for thin skinned game and cpx3 (though I'm not too sure this is an option in a 7mm08) for heavy-skinned game like elk or moose