HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What ammunition do I need to use?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What ammunition do I need to use?

If your expecting longer shots (ie: 150 +) then I think a boattail design would lend itself well to this situation. I personally like Ballistic Tips for deer myself and have taken a number with these type bullets ranging from under 100 yards(expect larger holes in this case) to 400 yards, in all case one shot kills with none travelling more than 50 yards after being punched through the lungs.

Many boattails to choose from so like mentioned pick up a few boxes and go from their. IME the Ballistic Tips are pretty hard to beat for accuracy though!!! The Accubond or interbond might be worth consideration as well and should hold it's weight better in the event you do get a closer range shot. My experience is only with the Accubond and its accuracy was excellent, keeping pretty close to the NBT's. I haven't used the AB on deer but did manage to harvest a Bull Elk and Bull Moose last fall with 160gr out of my 7mm rem mag. 150's or 165-168 grainers to help in trajectory loss would be my suggestion. When I used factory ammo I would always start with Federal Premium, then if required Winchester Supreme and Hornady Custom.