HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

Well I guess I am either lucky or our large deer are wussy's b/c theBallistic Tip Style Bullethas accounted for over 30 harvests of deer and antelope. It just pure flattens them if used appropriately. This includes understanding the design of the bullet first off though. BT's are designed to expand rapidly and are meant to expand under lower velocity for longer range shots.If you meet media at high velocity it will cause such a bullet to expand even faster. If I recall right Nosler designed them for velocities of 2700fps or under when hitting the target. Simply put if you expect your shots to be under 100, then pick a different bullet. If you like to aim at the shoulder, pick another bullet. If you don't like large wound channels (AKA; Holes), pick another bullet. However if your hunting encompasses short to long range shot on any given moment and you aim behind the shoulder the BT will most certainly get it done on deer sized game. I have yet to loose an animal to one and all have topple in less than 50 yards (with a good number folding tent at the shot). Yes they make larger holes when closer or higher velocity and if they should touch heavy bone but I understand and expect this fact. Idon't worry much about the rib meat on a deer any way. I have seen failures from many bullets but most were human failure not the manufacturer...so makean educated choice based on your situation.

I would also bump up to 140gr regardless of which design you choosefor the 7mm 08. If you want to shoot 120 grs then give Barnes a go!

Best of luck!