HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

First off, a wesley special just found it's way to my house while I was out on my last trip. To say the least I was apprehensive about this 'handshock' associated with the HH line. To be honest this bow shoots quite nice, comparable to my old checkmate crusader in that regards. I have yet to get out to any distance with it, been unpacking and putting gear up for the year (unfortunatly hunting season for me is about over). My arrows are not heavy by any means,565 to 572 finished weights.

I also have a big 5 on the way. Sorry Chad I need a longbow and Marc wasn't coming through or answering phone lines. Love curves but love longbows better.

Next I want to address that photo you showed Chad. I read that comment on if you hit the shoulder you are out of the kill zone, bow weights bad hits etc. My big doe of 00 was shot with that old 60lb crusader. Forwhatever reason I caught the back edge of the shoulder, punched through, hit ribs on the far side and stuck out, my arrow promptly broke in 3 pieces. I questioned my shot even though I thought I saw the doe go down. No it wasnt a center lung shot which we all are after but I did, due to angles from treestand and a broadside animal whose leg was back slightly, managed to catch the top 1/3rd of the close lung and closer to center punched the off side lung. A good blood trail and a 60yard recovery ensued. That picture doesnt look right to me, the shoulder is not that high in the body cavity and DOES cover some of the vital areas. These are not shots we plan on doing but it CAN happen. I dont think an 80 or 100+ pound bow will fix the solution however a slightly heavier, (notice I didn't say extremely heavier), bow can make the difference between a dead animal and a wounded one. That also depends on the animal's size (ie moose, whitetail etc). arrow flight, broadhead design sharpness failure if it happened, etc. So jumping up in weight to that extreme is not only unessicary it's not worth it compared to the other things you can do to prevent or ensure you arrow does it's job.

Btw I'll put that heavy arrow test through my wesley and big5 when the 5 arrives and get back to ya.