HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

Maybe I didn't say it the way I meant, Chad. You're right, of course, that the pre-stressed limb design on a quality reflex/deflex bow will shoot any arrow faster than the same quality Hill style bow, assuming same draw weight and draw length. It's probably more correct to say a Hill style bow is more efficient with heavy arrows - over 11 grains per pound or so - than a reflex/deflex is.... not to mention a proportionally heavier arrow really helps out with that thump in the hand. It helps change it from a tooth-rattling "Oh my God" to more of a "Hmmm."

Another part of taming handshock is that takes a bit more effort to find that sweet spot when adjusting brace height on a Hill style bow, and their magic brace height is usually lower than for a r/d longbow. Less shock means more of the bow's energy is going into the arrow than into your hand. Lower brace height means a longer power stroke, which also puts more energy into the arrow. More energy = more speed.

Tuned correctly, the few Wesley Specials I've shot were no slouch in the speed department. At the same time, I've shot some r/d longbows that were pure dogs when it came to putting an arrow downrange.