HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

OK, I need some explaining done here. I'm not doubting anyone's experience--I know Art has probably forgotten more about archery than I'll find out in the next 20 years--but I can't understand where a Hill or Hill style bow will shoot a heavy arrow faster. I've shot several--including Bob Wesley's personal Wesley Special--with heavy arrows and lighter ones, and they can't hold a candle to my bow or most other deflex/reflex designsfor speed. One was a Harrison Hill style, and it shoot like every other Hill or Hill style I've shot--smooth draw, super quiet, pretty good thump on release (handshock), and comparably slow--enough difference in speed that I didn't need a chronograph to see it, so we're not talking 5-10 fps.

Shooting just a hair under 10 grains per lb, I'm averaging 187 fps with my longbow--that's real-world speed, with silencers, hunting string, shooting with a glove, etc.--not a stripped down string shot from a shooting machine.

I'm not trying to push my favorite brand here--you can't get it in a 100# bow anyhow--I'm just curious to know what changes when you put a heavier arrow on a Hill bow. I'm not saying speed is the be-all-end-all either. If it was, we'd be shooting compounds or rifles. This is just something I see comeup from time to time, but have yet had anyone makes any sense of it.

Chad