HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

I can document it, because I've done it. I regularly shot upwards of 120 pound draws back in the 80's. Why? Because I could. Even better, because nobody else could.

But now I wish I'd never gone over 65 pounds. Both of my shoulders are so eaten up with arthritis now that I can barely draw over 50 pounds. I'm convinced it was all the shooting I did with those mongo bows that hastened things along.

Now, some people have no problems shooting very heavy draw weights way on into their golden years. Hill was one of those. I've heard of a few others. But, as I and my old shootin' buddies age, we've determined that those guys are the exception rather than the rule. Problem is, nobody knows whether they are the exception or not until the future becomes the present. By that time, the damage is done and there is no turning back the clock.

I'm not going to try and talk you out of getting a heavy hitter bow. Just passing along my experience and advising you to exercise caution. Don't overdo it. Always be sure you warm up and get your juices flowing before drawing that SOB!