HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
dkeener

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

Chad-
You are not raining on my parade, and I appreciate any and all input. Hitting the shoulder is just an example. Depending on how the deer is standing, and the angle of the shot(ie, quarting toward the shooter), his shoulder blade might catch the arrow whereas otherwise you would get at least one lung if not two if you had the power to blast thru the scapula. Guess I could use the same analogy with a steep shot catchingthe edge of the spine(transverse process), or perhaps a rib. All I am saying is that all things being equal, give me more arrow speed or a heavier arrow at the same speed. Of course, this presumes that you can shoot a heavier bowas accurate as a lighter bow. I have found that I am more accurate withmy 75lb as opposed to a 60lb longbow. Maybe it is becausethe 75lb is more similar to my 70 lb recurve which I have more experience shooting. Less arrow drop maybe?
I am curious about the potential shoulder damage from shooting a heavier bow that both you and Arthur have referred to. Is this documented or one of those "everybody says this will happen so it must be true" things? I remember Johnny Miller saying that he lost his golf swing because of building up muscles working around his farm, which set golf back 25 years as far as conditioning is concerned. My understanding is that Howard Hill himself shot very heavy bows until he was quite old.
Nice deer diagram by the way.

Doublecreek - I have been accused of having relatives who swing from trees in the not so distant past.