HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best heavy longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

I just worry about folks ruining their shoulders. I used to shoot a heavy weight--shot tournaments with an 82# longbow, and have a flatbow here that I am pulling around 120# on (at my draw), but I seldom even pull it anymore--afraid of shortening my archery career!

I understand your thinking, but if you hit a deer in the shoulder you have buggered up--regardless if you are shooting 50# or 100#. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I think it's much better to shoot a bow that you are able to control better--for accuracy. No amount of poundage is going to make a shoulder shot or a gut shot a good shot. I was looking at a diagram of a deer's vitals just a day or two ago--can't remember the site, but if you can find one you will see that, with a broadside shot at least, if you hit the shoulder bone you have missed the vitals completely.

I'm not trying to bust on you or anything, I'd just hate for you to bugger your shoulder up or take a risky shot thinking the weight will compensate for it.

Chad