HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Fox Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Criggster

Default Black Fox Squirrel

I went out today and scouted for deer and squirrel hunted. I killed three gray squirrels, and started down the hollow. At the base of the hollowI heard two barking. I sat down on a big log to rest and wait to see ifI could spot them. After about four minutesI saw one coming down the hill towards the hollow. I looked through the scope and saw that he had a black head. I shot twice and missed and he kept running closer. Then I noticed he was really black in color. He ran up on a dead tree that was leaning over and stopped. I could only see himfrom the front legs back. I aimed whereI thought his head should be and fired; it rolled down the hill. I ran up to get it and found that it was black from head to toe on the underside, but the rest of it looked like a regular fox squirrel. This color phase isreally rare here in VA. I have hunted for 16 years, and this is the first one I've killed that was this color. I tore him up pretty bad; I grazed him under the belly and squarely hit the opposite front leg. I was using Rem. PSP .22 mag. I took some 35mm pictures and tried to contact the taxidermist to see if he can still mount him. I"ll try to post some pics.