HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Laws are to Easy on those that break them
Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
WBowhunt

Default Laws are to Easy on those that break them

I was reading the thread about the stolen treestands and think we all agree that most of those that archery hunt are good folks. But the laws regarding the sport are rediculous. I realize that if they are willing to steal your stand, especially on private property, they are willing to hunt without a licsense. But a second offense should be worse.
A couple years ago I was hunting private property the first week of November. I was the only one who had permission to hunt it. About 45 minutes before dark I have a small 8 come out directly below my stand and would out about 25 yards. The buck looks to the left and I hear KA BAMMM. Almost fell out of the tree. The buck hunches up runs about 50 yards and piles up. I get down out of of the tree walk the 20 yards and look out the opening in the hedge row across the field to the road. I don't see anyone. I run up the Farmers house to get someone else to be out there with me when they come to get the deer. By the time we are back they have the deer loaded on a 4 wheeler and a driving acorss the field. We saw where they went and followed. It turned out to be a friend of the farmers neighbor who was driving in and saw the buck through the opening and had his 16 year old son shoot it across the hood of the truck. Rifle season did not open for another 3 weeks. Well the farmer called DNR and they came out and you what they got? A $100 fine and 2 points on their liscense. It takes 10 point in 1 year to loose it for 5. That was it. I was pissed. Oh and they got to keep the deer. I could go on with more stories of folks poaching and tresspassing on almost every farm I work hard to get permission to hunt on. We as honest archers need to start writig letters to DNR or Fish and WIldlife and push to make the laws meet the crime.... or at least deter it.
Thanks for listening