HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - beginer re-loader
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: beginer re-loader

First off, know some of the big names like RCBS, Dillion, and even Lee. RCBS has some details on reloading on thier webpage. A single stage press can be used for all cartridges. Stay awy from progressives for a while until you get single stage down.

I suggest a good kit like the Rockchucker kit. It will have mostly what you need in it besides dies for particular cartridges. Even has a manual. I learned strickly by myself from a manual so anyone can do it. I suggest doing some reading and then come back on here or feel free to email with aditional questions.

A rockchucker kit should have the following
Press

You can primer on the press starting out and get a separate primer later or now. I have a RCBS primer, but many like lee

Balance beam, all you will ever need, some like digital but I suggest against it. I have had a few and went back to the beam.

lube pad with lube. Messy at first but I have done thousands of rounds lubing on a pad. I now use One shot mostly. Its a spray lube

Trimmer. The RCBS one is ok, I still use it, but there's not much to choose from on this one.

Deburrer. The wilson one that comes with the RCBS kit works well.

Powder thrower. The RCBS is ok and I still use it.

Your going to have to buy set of calibers. I have a cheap set from cabelas that works great and a very expensive set. But I have cal'd the one from cabelas with a cal spacer kit from my companies machine shop and its right on. All you have to worry about is "are they accurate from the start", after that you good as buying high dollar starretts.

Your going to have buy a set of dies. I prefer Full length RCBS starting out. I have bought the best but still came back to the RCBS.

I suggest buying a trickler and kenetic hammer, and maybe a good set of safety glass's that fit comfortable. Take it from me when starting out, you are going to spend hours on this. Where do you live? It so much easier to have someone who is experienced get you started out. I have been to several peoples houses to get them going cause I know how confused I was when I started out with no internet and just a handbook.